• 519.648.2237
  • Monday - Friday 8 am - 5 pm
  •   info@ags-environmental.com

UFFI Removal

uffi removal
uffi removal

Used as a home insulation that could easily be injected into wall cavities and produce decent insulation, it became apparent within a decade of use that the product created noxious fumes that burned the eyes, nose, lungs and throat.

Eye, Throat, Nose and Lung Irritant

Urea-Formaldehyde Foam Insulation (UFFI) has its origins back in the 1930s. This foam insulation was easily injected under pressure into walls and other spaces with a hose providing a quick way for home owners to retrofit older homes with no insulation. The liquid mixture was applied with a hose and a mixing gun, combining the foaming agent, resin and compressed air. The foam would expand into wall cavities and fill the void with an insulation that provided a value of R-5 per inch. The mixed foam became firm within minutes and took about a week to fully cure. For years after curing some applications of UFFI were known to produce gasses into family homes which made many homeowners sick. UFFI is generally spotted in homes built before the 1970s. If you see a yellow hardened liquid in your basement, crawl space, attic, or wall cavities, you may have UFFI.

While much of remaining UFFI in homes no longer produces noxious fumes, it can still be viewed as a detriment when trying to sell your home. We are specialists in the removal of UFFI and can provide you a free quote for abatement.

Spotting UFFI

Visually UFFI looks like oozing liquid that has hardened. As UFFI ages it can darken and take on more of a butterscotch colour. New UFFI can often be a light yellow color. Early forms of UFFI tended to shrink significantly and the foam dried with a dull matte color. Very old cured UFFI can even be dry and crumbly.

Around 1980, concerns began to develop about formaldehyde vapor emitted by the curing process, as well as from the breakdown of old foam. Improperly mixed UFFI could often have too much formaldehyde which would discharge into the home as a gas. Formaldehyde emission rates exceeding 3.0 - 5.0 parts per million (ppm) cause a variety of adverse health effects impacting the eyes, nose, and respiratory system.

Health Impacts Of Formaldehyde

UFFI was usually mixed at the location of use while constructing the home walls. It was then injected inside the walls, the curing process occurs, and the final product acts as an insulating agent. Because less information was known about the toxic health effects of formaldehyde in the 1970s, extra formaldehyde was often added to the mixture to ensure that the curing process would occur completely. Since this time studies have been done on people who are subjected to low levels of formaldehyde on a daily basis and there were no long term adverse affects. As UFFI ages it tends to release less formaldehyde gas.

CONTACT US TODAY if you are concerned about UFFI


asbestos

Asbestos Removal

The presence of Asbestos in commercial buildings and residences is becoming more and more of a concern for Canadians. Our crew are specialists in the abatement of Asbestos and are the most efficient in the business.

mould

Mould Removal

Certain conditions and environments can lead to the growth of particularly harmful strains of mould in buildings. If left unchecked, these toxic moulds can lead to serious health problems for the occupants of the building.

uffi

UFFI Removal

Formaldehyde vapours emitted by the curing process of urea formaldehyde foam insulation (UFFI) as well as from the breakdown of old foam are a known lung, nose, throat and eye irritant. This insulation style was used extensively in homes in the 1970s.

lead

Lead Paint

Exposure to lead has decreased over the years but lead is still found in many environments due to its use in paints, gasoline, solder and pipes for decades before the 2000s. Lead is a dangerous neurotoxin and lead dust is easily absorbed into the blood through the lungs.

restoration

Disaster Recovery

When weather or bad plumbing has caused flooding which has caused a contamination issue, our recovery services can help clean up your building and get you back into it as soon as possible. AGS Environmental is ready to roll 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to help with your disaster restoration.

sandblasting

Sandblasting Services

Sandblasting is used to clean surfaces, remove rust, oxidation, or finishes and to prepare surfaces for new coating applications. This process thoroughly removes the material without harming the substrate and consists of propelling an abrasive media at high velocity via compressed air onto the surface to be cleaned.

 
lead

PCBs

Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCBs) pose significant human health risks with exposure. Links to digestive cancers, reduced fertility and neurological problems are all symptoms of exposure. Production of PCBs was terminated before the 1980s because it was discovered they do not break down and can build up in the environment.

restoration

Mercury

Many industrial processes, landfills and incineration activities release mercury into the environment. This neurotoxin has the potential to cause damage to speech, hearing, walking and muscle strength. Mercury was also used in fungicides, preservatives and liquid mercury was used in gauges and meters of industrial and commercial equipment.

sandblasting

Sample Testing

We're proud to now offer independent sample testing. Our labs can verify if the mould, or material sample of potential asbestos, PCB or other toxin is a danger to your building and the occupants within. Call us to have your material tested!

 
dry ice blasting

Dry Ice Blasting

An effective restoration technique for mould remediation and smoke or fire damage removal, dry ice blasting leaves no residual blasting media and is safe for use when dust and particulate residue can be a problem.

disposal bin rental

Disposal Bin Rental

Need an onsite bin for disposal of construction, demolition or renovation debris? We deliver and pick-up bins for your disposal needs.

bat guano removal

Bat Guano Removal

Feces from this animal carries dangerous fungus and needs to be handled carefully to avoid breathing in any of the toxins.

Professional and cost effective services operating in Kitchener, Waterloo, Cambridge, Guelph, London, Hamilton and surrounding areas in South-Western Ontario.