Lead interferes with a variety of body processes and is toxic to many organs and tissues including the heart, bones, intestines and kidneys as well as the reproductive and nervous systems. Lead interferes with the development of the nervous system and accumulates in the body so it is particularly toxic to children. Lead poisoning in youth can cause permanent learning and behavioral disorders. Symptoms of lead poisoning include abdominal pain, confusion, headache, anemia and irritability. Severe cases can include seizures, coma, and even death.
There is no safe threshold for lead and occupational exposure remains to this day the highest source of lead exposure to humans. Lead based paints used for decades pose a threat to children who might be prone to eating the paint "chips." Sanding of lead based paint can generate large amounts of lead dust which is inhaled and passed through the mucous membranes of the nose and lungs. While lead rarely passes through the skin and lead paint is safe to touch, if cracking, lead paint is already generating lead dust.
While lead paint remains a continual source of required remediation, if you work with plumbing, circuit boards, ceramic glazes or are a plumber, auto mechanics, glass manufacturers, construction worker or battery manufacturer and recycler you may have exposure to lead. If lead dust gets on to the ground or into water that is spilled onto the ground, remediation is required.
If you have concerns about lead in your home or business, call us to investigate. We will provide a free estimate, and we offer independent lab tests which are an inexpensive way to determine the presence of lead in any material or soil sample.
CONTACT US TODAY if you suspect lead in your home or business.